Monday, July 13, 2020

🤠 How to Know When Your Goal Isn't Even About You.

Day 9:   You're Not Alone.   You're Being Watched!




by Edward Smith
14 Jul 2020


Is The Pursuit of Money Evil?

If you've been reading my content, you'll have seen me write about money.   Money is one of those delicate, taboo subjects that people tend to distance themselves from whenever given a chance. 

We all want to know how to make money work for us, but we don't always want to bring up the subject around other people.   When people don't want to talk about something, they tend to discourage us or belittle us.    It's not a safe place to be.   

Money gets associated with all kind of negative stuff.   People have money problems.   Money can corrupt.   People can become desperate for money.   People can hoard money.  Money has been described as being the root of all evil.   It is blamed for restricting opportunity.   It's why some people have nothing, while others seem to have everything.    Why would anyone want to talk about that?


Legacy

So here we are.  Talking about money.   Am I one of the bad guys?    Do I care about money too much, and are my priorities messed up?    I don't think so.   

When I became a father, everything about my life's purpose changed.   I went from being the hero of my own story to an old man with young kids.   I don't move as fast as they do, I'm not quick like they are.   It's pretty obvious they'll outlive me.  They're the future.    I'm old news.    

Something happened.   I went from being the CEO of my own awesome sauce company to that of revered teacher and provider.   These two small people watch me, judge me, and evaluate me.  I have to be careful around them.   They imitate me.

Worse, it's not even always about what I do.   It can be about what I don't do.   When I sleep in, I get questioned about why I'm not present.  If I drink beer, small people want to know why I don't take care of myself like I should.    

Kids are super observant.   If you let them love you, and you love them back (like you're supposed to), kids keep you super honest.   They don't think in grey.   For them, life is black and white.  You either live by your word, or you become something worth questioning.    

You are their hero.  Heroes do heroic things.   You don't find them doing the bad stuff.    That's why you need to stick to your plans.   That includes staying in your budget, spending what you say you're going to spend, and following through.  If you don't, you'll face an inquisition.


So Why Delay Fun, and Pay Off A House Early?

I get asked other things as well.   When I do something that my kids don't see other people doing, I get asked about it.  As I mentioned.   Kids notice everything.   

I used to do the same thing, but answers were not forthcoming.

When I was growing up, we rented.   I wasn't allowed to hang posters on the wall (even scotch tape was forbidden).   I was scolded for scratching any part of the house.   My dad was super scared of landlords.   We lived according to a stranger's rules and those rules appeared to be very extensive.   I didn't learn anything related to the financials of house ownership or renting during that time.  

My dad didn't buy his first home until I was in high school.  I never knew how he paid for it, because I wasn't allowed to ask questions about money.   I didn't learn about financing.   I didn't learn about loans.   We didn't talk about alternative strategies for paying down a house.   These are things that would have really helped me out had I learned about them.    

In my parent's house, money was grown up talk.   I was just a kid and kids don't ask questions about money.    To this day my parents refuse to talk about money.   They find a way to talk about something else.   That really sucks, because they lived their life and they aren't sharing the details.  Those are valuable details, and those details could have guided me around some major pitfalls.       

Instead of getting a solid education, I didn't learn about money in detail until I moved out.   I had to learn by making the same mistakes that my parents did.   I had to relive their same mistakes.  That's like getting charged twice for the same thing.   Our family is smarter then that.


So What Do You Do About It?   
Find out by clicking the link below!  


  



No comments:

Post a Comment

🤠 How To Complete a 66 Day Challenge

Day 66: Reaching the Finish Line by Edward Smith 09 Sept 2020 Mission Complete! In this article I wanted to finish what I started back on 06...