Sunday, August 30, 2020

🤠 How Shaving Your Own Hair As a Guy Saves You Thousands

Day 57:  Be a Cut Above the Rest





by Edward Smith

31 Aug 2020


Become Your Own Barber

In this article I'm going to describe how you can save some money by cutting your own hair at home.  Saving money is something everyone can do.   It can be really easy when you put your mind to it, and it doesn't always have to be restricting.   

Sometimes it just requires approaching a common problem from a different direction.   There are tons of ways to do it, but this is one of my favorites.   


My Love Affair

Back in 2006, I purchased an Oster Classic 76 Universal motor clipper 76076010.   This is one of those large metal beasts that you see at old school barber shops.  It's the same kind of buzz razor that the barbers used at the military barber shop when I was going through basic training.   

What I love about my razor, is it's quick, it's clean, I can get a great haircut no matter where I am so long as the place has working electricity and a plug somewhere.  I can travel with it if I want. It works really well, and it's simple to use.  

The idea here is you're not cutting and clipping and stylizing (even though you could).   You're just shaving the sucker off in clean lawn mower straight swathe lines of glory.   When you want it longer, you let it grow back, and repeat the process.   

This method is great for summer months when you're trying to keep your head cool.   No mess no bother, just smooth sailing.

The razor is simple and eloquent in design.  The body is heavy and appears to be made of solid steel.   It reminds me of an old school car from the 1950's, when America made great things.   

When you buy the razor it goes for about $150.00 (it's gone up in price since I got mine), it lasts you for years, it comes with two detachable heads for different grades of cutting, and it comes with a blade guard to prevent cutting yourself.   

This razor does not use batteries.  It just plugs straight into the wall.  



Owning an Oster Razor Is an Investment

I've had my Oster Classic 76 Universal motor clipper 76076010 for ten years and the thing has never failed me once.  The thing runs like a well oiled engine.   

Even better, when I bought it, it only cost me $115.00.  As I mentioned above, the thing has risen to around $150.00 but who cares?   It's still totally worth the price.  

It's made to last forever.   I've saved a lot of money since I bought mine.  If you look at it from a ten year perspective, it's like I spent fifteen bucks a year.  It's nothing.

According to a 2019 article (click link) posted in Men's Health, the average haircut for a man is around $28.00.   

When you consider that the average man gets a haircut about once a month to two months that means this razor saves me an average of $168 to $336 a year (not counting the razor's original price).   Over ten years that amounts to around $1,680 to $3,360 in savings.   Since the razor still works, my savings continue.   


Buzzing Your Head Eliminates Insecurity

Even when the barber shops close down, and people can't leave their house, I continue forward cutting my hair like normal.   

I also don't have to worry about male pattern baldness.    When I perform a buzz cut on myself, my hair is already gone.   It might look silly to other people, but it feels great to me, and the hair always grows back.   

Other people get insecure about this kind of thing because they fall in love with their hair.  Not me.  They try to hide their lack of hair with wigs or hats.   I just cut the sucker off, and laugh myself all the way to bank.


Conclusion

Saving money is all about common sense.  You shouldn't buy cars you can't afford.   You shouldn't buy a car if you can get by on a bike.   Cars are expensive.   Why pay for something you don't really need?     

Haircuts are like transportation.   You need a haircut, because your hair will grow, but the way you solve that problem is totally up to you.  You can go expensive and waste your money, you can go cheap, or you can go somewhere in between.  It just needs to make sense for you.   It shouldn't matter what others think.  

Getting a haircut is expensive, and when the world turns upside down it's not always even possible to get one.   That doesn't have to be a problem though.  You have options.   

You can cut your own hair from your own home!     I've been shaving my own head  since 2001.   It's easy to do, and I've saved  a ton of money doing it.  I don't even dislike it.  I enjoy it.   Why pay for something you can do yourself?   Get a razor and shave off one of your expenses today!   Cut your head while you get ahead.






.


No comments:

Post a Comment

🤠 How To Complete a 66 Day Challenge

Day 66: Reaching the Finish Line by Edward Smith 09 Sept 2020 Mission Complete! In this article I wanted to finish what I started back on 06...