Wednesday, August 5, 2020

🤠 How To Exercise in Only 9,000 steps

Day 32: What's More Important Than Wealth?




by Edward Smith
06 Aug 2020


Take Care of Your Health

Okay. So here is the deal. At the end of the day, if your health isn't good, your quality of life is going to suffer. Excluding those with a chronic condition, health is something you need to control, it is something you must put effort into, and it is something you must learn to master.

Money cannot, and does not replace hard work. Health is your responsibility.


Joining a Gym

When I moved out East, I decided to join a gym.

The gym was pretty close to my new house, and I thought it would be really cool to work out, bring the family along, and connect with other people from around the local community. Back in California I never really knew my neighbors. This time it would be different.

I thought it would be like joining a country club. I figured I would get to know people, I'd make friends, we would go to each other's houses, we'd eat BBQ. I like BBQ. It would be fun!


Gyms are Expensive 

It didn't really work out as planned though. The gym itself was nice, but unlike BBQ, it was really hard for me to stomach the price. I've always had a problem with paying for things that I think I can do on my own, without money. Exercise for me is one of those things I feel you shouldn't have to pay for, because exercise is something you should be getting to do for free.

If you watch little kids, they don't pay for fancy gyms. Kids run around, they climb things, they ride bikes, they stay active. No fancy equipment. I totally feel the same way. Give me a good pair of shoes, some music, and a place to go walking, and I'm good to go.


Finnish People Do Not Pay For Gyms

I blame most of my attitude on my Finnish heritage and upbringing. In Finland they have this little thing called Sisu. Finnish people do not believe in paying for something when the something can be solved using grit, creativity and common sense.

For example, if you want cardio, you don't pay for a gym, you go outside and walk. If you don't have time to exercise because you have to go grocery shopping, you walk to the grocery store. If you have to watch the kids, you bring them with you. If it's too far to walk, you take your bike. Finns get it done, and they keep the process low key.


Owning My First Indoor Track

By the time 2018 hit, I no longer belonged to my gym. I had let my membership run out. I didn't like paying for it, and I wasn't really even going. Walking outside was free, and I enjoyed it.

Flash forward to 2020, things had gotten a little more complicated. I now worked as a full time dad. The Pandemic struck. The school systems were now closed. I was stuck inside with two kids and I couldn't really take them anywhere. I didn't like being inside all of the time. I was getting stir crazy, and I wanted to go out walking.

It was during one of these days that I hit upon an idea. I was frustrated and I had begun pacing back and forth. That's when it struck me. Pacing is exercise! If I walked from one end of the house to the other and looped back, that was a lap. It was like I owned my own in door track.

Awesome! If I combined my laps together, and did them for long enough, my gym requirements were covered.

Better yet, under my program, the thing was super cheap, I didn't need to buy fancy gym clothes, I could walk whenever I wanted, and the building was temperature controlled. Perfect.


Welcome to the 9,000 Step Plan

So that's how I started up my 9,000 step plan. The goal was to walk 9,000 steps every day. 
 
9,000 steps is equivalent to about 4 to 4.5 miles. It's what my doctor recommends, and I've read articles in the past where the American Heart Association recommends adults do that.


A Call to Action: Using my Phone

My smart phone really helped, because the phone is portable, it can play podcasts, and it has an earphone jack. To make the phone work, I first downloaded a pedometer program onto it so I could track my steps.

The pedometer program works great, because I can switch over to a different program, while I walk, put the phone into my pocket and the thing keeps counting my steps even when I'm just walking around doing house work. Mundane chores suddenly have value, because they produce steps and every step is worth a point. The more points I earn, the closer to being done I am.

I also downloaded a podcast player so I could listen to radio podcasts while I walk. I just turn it on, hook up my headphones and begin. I'm no longer stuck in the house, because my mind is somewhere else. It's also cool because I learn interesting things while I do it. It seems like when you combine walking with listening you listen better. I'm guessing the process of moving stimulates your brain.
I guess that's why you see the great thinkers in movies doing that.


Zoning Out Responsibly

The earphones are also super useful, because my family gets to do what they want while I exercise, and I get to exercise while they do what they want. We're in different lanes, and the peace is kept in check. Nobody is stepping on any one else's toes.

I'm still present. I'm right there, people can see me. If they want me, they just flag me down to stop, I pause and spend time with them. If I need to take care of a problem, I take care of it. Then once everyone is happy, and things are good, I go back to exercising. Easy.


Conclusion

In this article you learned about my 9,000 step program. I highly recommend it if you're a stay at home parent, and are living life on the cheap. Walking inside can be done at any time, and it helps keep you on track, because it still works even when the outside world has gone crazy.

If the city is closed down. Go walk. If you're told to stay inside. Go for a walk. Inclement weather? No problem! Go for a walk! Who knew that living in doors came with an indoor track? No membership fees or expensive upkeep. Take advantage of what life has given you, and go take a walk today! Nobody is stopping you.






No comments:

Post a Comment

🤠 How To Complete a 66 Day Challenge

Day 66: Reaching the Finish Line by Edward Smith 09 Sept 2020 Mission Complete! In this article I wanted to finish what I started back on 06...